Welcome to the Prescott School Community—home of the Prescott Wolves! Prescott is a magnet cluster school (Kindergarten-8th grade) focused on literature and writing. Currently considered a “neighborhood school,” Prescott is located on the corner of Wrightwood and Ashland just kitty corner from Wrightwood Park.
Prescott Elementary School
- School tours conducted 2nd Tuesday of each month at 9:00am during the school year. Reservations NOT required. Led by parents followed by Q&A with Administration
- 1632 West Wrightwood Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60614 (773.534.5505)
- Website: http://www.prescott.cps.k12.il.us
- Chicago Magazine names Prescott #14 of 400+ elementary schools in Chicago in its September, 2016 issue.
- Highest ranking on CPS scale for seven consecutive years.
- Prescott is ahead of other schools in preparation for the new Common Core State Standards and the Next Generation Science Standards. The new reading, writing, and math assessment, the PARCC, rolled out during the 2014-2015 year. The new assessment will surprise many parents across the US, especially middle-class parents who have been lulled into the belief that they have a great school. To make the transition, schools should have been preparing for at least a year prior. Prescott prepared three years in advance. In science and engineering learning, Prescott completed overhauling its curriculum in 2018, also well in advance of the district and state timelines.
- Prescott scores in the 91st percentile of schools nationally in Reading (NWEA-MAP) and top 89th percentile in math.
- Prescott’s PARCC scores continue to climb to one of the highest in the state of Illinois.
- Prescott emphasizes a strong home-school connection. Monthly parent newsletters and many family nights a year (curriculum, reading, math, and science) are two examples of our unique home-school connection.
- At Prescott, the social-emotional learning is as critical as academic learning. It’s important for children to learn persistence, teamwork, and problem-solving as part of their social-emotional development. Students learning in these types of environments do better academically.
- Prescott is a small school with 470 students Pre-K through 8th grade.
- Excellent rating on Creative Schools for arts instruction.
- 80% of faculty holds a Masters degree from Erickson Institute, University of Illinois—Urbana-Champaign, Michigan State, Indiana University, Northwestern University, Washington University in St. Louis, University of Wisconsin-Madison, College of William and Mary,, and other highly acclaimed colleges and universities.
- Principal Erin Roche (former Math and Language Arts Teacher; 14 years in administration, 12 in principalship; doctorate from Vanderbilt University, which is #1 in nations for educational leadership); honored by WGN as one of Chicago’s Very Own for championing the Chicago Children’s Choir.
- Assistant Principal Jennifer Rath (former teacher and expert Reading Coach)
- Winner ( Ms. Lindsey—2009) Office Max A-Day-Made-Better Award
- Winner (Ms. Gow) 2010-2011 CPS Drive Award given to 23 out of 23,000 CPS faculty
- Winner (Ms. Phares) 2009 Golden Apple Award
- National Board Certified Teachers –Ms. Phares (3rd grade teacher), Ms. Swanson (4th grade teacher), Ms. Gow (middle school reading & writing teacher), Mr. RJ (middle school math & science teacher) Mr. Roche (Principal), and Mrs. Kirshner (1st grade teacher), Ms. Izard (Special Education), and Ms. Moran (Special Education and Math specialist)
- K through 8th grade exposed to a challenging, coherent curriculum aligned with the Common Core State Standards.
- K-7th grade math curriculum is designed so 8th graders take Algebra
- Reading/writing curriculum includes University of Chicago’s Jr. Great Books
- Rigorous inquiry-based science curriculum aligned to the Next Generation Science Standards.
- Test scores on state’s ISAT (discontinued in 2014) increased 34 points in five years as the result of new community enthusiasm, administration and faculty
- DePaul University Science Education—DePaul recruited school to mentor teacher candidates from School of Education—over 50 university students per year observe or student-teach at Prescott. Additionally, DePaul’s science education students come to Prescott on Wednesdays to teach science lab.
- Erikson Institute—world-renowned research and graduate school in education
- University of Chicago Urban Education Institute
- GreenStar Movement worked with Prescott students on our beautiful tile mosaic overlooking the parking lot (Green Star Movement)
- Alliant Credit Union, 7th largest credit union in US, provides range of support to the school including the Family Book Program, school supplies, and Prescott Service Day
- Emerald City Theater – drama club – meets once/week
- Right At School – fee based after school program – runs 3:45pm-6:00pm daily: supports wide ranging enrichment programming that is coordinated through RAS
- Chess Wizards –chess program teaches chess and accompanying analytical skills
- Soccer, volleyball, track, softball, and Basketball –interscholastic athletics, Girls on the Run
- Chicago Children’s Choir—performed at Blue Man Group, Navy Pier, and Millennium Park
- Smiling Strings – before school violin
- Ballroom Dancing & Open Mic Nights
- Battle of the Books and Mathletes
- Art Club
- Reading and math tutoring programs
- We Got Game
- Lego Engineering
- Prescott Parents, a 501(c)3 organization (www.prescottparents.com), offers a range of support for the school to engage the community and raise funds. Designed to keep all parents and supporters connected with each other and events at the school.
- Local School Council – an active board working within the school, public participation encouraged
- Strong commitments to Prescott School Community from Alderman, State Rep, US Rep and County Commissioner
The Buzz and More
- 2015 Top 5% nationally in student learning attainment in math NWEA and top 7% in reading (2011 norms)
- 2015 Top 3% nationally in student learning growth in math NWEA and top 14% in student learning growth in reading.
- 2014 Prescott ranked in the top 10% nationally in NWEA-MAP student learning growth in reading and top 20% nationally in NWEA-MAP in math.
- 2014 Prescott ranked in the top third of schools nationally on attainment in Reading and Math.
- 2013 Prescott ranked in the top 1% nationally in NWEA-MAP student learning growth (4 million students take test).
- 2013 Prescott’s value added growth was in the top 10% of CPS in ISAT and NWEA-MAP across all categories.
- Extensive improvement in the last four years, thanks to dedicated parents, the new administration and faculty and a burgeoning neighborhood community.
- Enrollment increased an average of 10% each of past three years
- Teachers collaborate to plan Buddies program, Celebrations of Learning, Fall Family Reading Night, Family Science Night, and Spring Math & Reading Night
- Caring, diverse school community that nurtures children to high academic levels and well-rounded skills.
- Prescott students were featured on WBBM Radio for their anti-bullying campaign.