Dear Prescott Community:
Thank you for being a member of the Prescott community! We are glad you’re here and sincerely request your support for Prescott Parents as we get ready for the start of a new school year.
Last year, we faced many challenges with remote/hybrid learning and more. Parents, children, teachers, staff, and administration have felt exhausted and hopefully, had a much-needed relaxing summer break. This school year, we are excited and hopeful that we will experience opportunities to come together as a school community in person, increasing our connection to each other as we support our children’s education.
And that’s where you come in!
Parent involvement is instrumental to the success of any school. Prescott, as a Chicago Public School, faces challenges and unique opportunities. The education offered by Prescott is top-notch, as evidenced by the 2019 National Blue Ribbon Award. However, we can’t do it without your involvement.
Please consider how you can contribute your unique skills towards achieving our shared goal. To make this school year a success, we rely on 100% family participation.
Your involvement in Prescott Parents not only makes the school operate better, it is a way to bring us back together and rebuild our sense of community. In previous years, parents just like you saw a need at Prescott, and filled it using their time, treasure, and/or talent. Now, we ask you to step in.
Consider how you can get involved. There are many volunteer opportunities that offer flexibility to fit any type of schedule, whether you work full-time, or you can only commit to supporting us virtually (from home).
Here are some ideas for using your time, treasure, and/or talent in support of our school community and our children’s education.
- Time. Can you make a contribution of time to the school? This could mean making photocopies for teachers, volunteering in the Kiss N Go drop-off line, or becoming a room parent for your child’s class. Many Wolfpacks (parent volunteer groups) need your time too. We also need parents willing to get involved to help build a robust, diverse, and inclusive Prescott community (e.g. Prescott Pops, Gardens and Grounds, Social Events).
- Treasure. This year, Prescott Parents has a fundraising goal of $100,000, which breaks down to about $250 per student. There are significant funding shortfalls in the Chicago Public School system and Prescott Elementary relies on donations to Prescott Parents to fill this void. Past fundraising efforts have supported teacher training in specialized reading and math programs, technology for students like Chromebooks and iPads, and middle school student storage.
- Fundraising. Volunteer to support fundraising efforts through Prescott Parents including our annual benefit, pop-up events, working to secure corporate sponsors, and more.
- Family sponsorships. Consider whether your family can make a contribution of $5, $50, $500, or $5,000 to support our children’s educational needs.
- Matching corporate gifts. Many corporations will match a contribution to a nonprofit made by their employees. Check with your employer for details.
- AmazonSmile. Use AmazonSmile and designate Prescott Parents as your charity of choice.
- Talent. What talents can you offer to the school community? Specific needs include event/party planners to coordinate social gatherings; accounting or tax preparation; project management or fundraising experience; email distribution; yearbook creation; and joining the many Wolfpacks available. Have a skill not listed here? Reach out and offer it up!
Ready to join us and support our school community? Send an message to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Time Treasure Talent” to get involved. Help us find ways to support and engage all of our Prescott families. Achieving our 100% family participation goal depends on you.
Prescott Parents strives to create an inclusive and engaged school community and to do that, we need your help. As a community we can move forward in ways we never could have imagined alone. Thank you for your involvement!
The strength of the pack is the wolf;
the strength of the wolf is the pack
About Prescott Parents
The purpose of Prescott Parents is to support the educational experience among Prescott students, as a 501c(3) nonprofit organization and to foster a spirit of cooperation, collaboration and community between parents, faculty, administration and staff; students, and the surrounding community.
Prescott Parents, through its team of committed volunteers, works to enhance the school facilities, underwrite academic and extracurricular programs, assist teachers in their classrooms, host the annual Prescott fundraiser, build the Prescott community, and coordinate communications to keep the greater Prescott community connected. Wolfpacks can be joined to support this mission. These include the Welcome Pack for supporting families new to the school, Prescott Benefit Wolfpack for fundraising, room parents to support teachers in the classroom, book fairs, as well as student events (Field Day, end of the year picnic) and many other opportunities to get involved and support Prescott.
In 2020 thanks to the generosity of our community and the support of our families, the Prescott Benefit (historically Prescott’s largest individual fundraiser) raised over $80,000 in support of our mission.
Prescott Parents Board
Jen Bushek, President
Amy Cortis, Vice President
Nicole Sebastian, Secretary
Shelley Krepich, Treasurer